Monday, May 29, 2017

May 29, 2017

Fast week!

Hello! This week was good. Lots of walking in the hills of Nancy. Such a beautiful place!

So there is a woman from the Metz ward in the Nancy maternity hospital, we aren't sure what's wrong but she's hoping not to have the baby too early! But her husband and her and 3 yr old are from Albania and have been here for 9 months. The bishop of the Metz ward asked us to go visit her because she's all by herself all day! So we've been able to go over 3 times already and we're going tonight. She doesn't speak much French or English but she is just SO cute! She met the missionaries in Albania and has been a member for 4 years. Though we can't communicate too well, she is so appreciative of our company! We read the book of Mormon together. Yesterday she asked for pineapple so we're bringing her some tonight! She's still going to be here for another few weeks, I'm excited for this opportunity to get to know this family and help in any way we can!

This week I've also learned so much about prayer. I read the conference talk "and this is life eternal" and one paragraph really touched me. It talked about when Elder Maxwell had cancer and he didn't want to pray to be healed because he wanted to just follow the Lord's will. His wife reminded him that when Christ was in the garden of Gethsemane, he asked if there was any other way but said he was willing to suffer for all of us! Even the Savior asked for relief of something that was so hard. Elder Maxwell lived for another 7 years after that experience with his wife. The next day I read in James 5:16-18. It talks about how Elias prayed for it to not rain and it didn't for over 3 years. Then he prayed and it rained again! "The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much". It was good confirmation that prayer is real! Heavenly Father is listening and is willing to give us our righteous desires. Though everything may not work out like we want it to, it is always for the best. Pretty much what I got out of it was don't be afraid to ask for things because He is listening. He loves us! Pray about it! :)

Bonne semaine,

Sœur Giles



















We also made a little thing for the ward! In memory of the Temple dedication




Letter to Mom:

Wow your weeks just keep getting busier and busier! Life just throws so much stuff at us huh? But it's all good. :) this was a crazy week because we had almost every single rendezvous fall through. My planner has so many crossed out things in it haha. So we actually got to do all our studies and go finding and some things we don't normally do because usually we are teaching! We did the most walking this week and as a result I got one blister on each of my foot between the big and second toe but on the ball of my foot. So that was fun! But while we were walking on Saturday they both popped and they feel almost all the way better now! :) thank goodness!

Glad the garage is looking better, I wish I could help you! And how's teaching piano going?

Funny story. Yesterday Sœur Warr and I are greeting people as they come into church and literally 2 minutes before church starts a member comes up to me and says that she couldn't find a pianist to play the mothers day song that children are going to sing at the end of sacrament meeting. So I say yes and practice it once then play it in sacrament! My hands were so sweaty haha. It was worth it thought because she told me "vous avez sauvé ma vie". Gained some trust with the members! :) But it made me grateful for the time Sister Foote asked me to play for mothers day at home . It turned out well! If you see her tell her thanks from me!

Hmmm, I went contacting with a member on Thursday! Her name is Sara and absolutely loves sister missionaries. I got to lead quite a few of the conversations so that was cool. Heavenly Father was helping me understand so I could respond!

Mom your journal entries are so cute! I can just picture you with your little hand trying to write all those long words. So cute!! I can't wait for more! Love you so much!
Hannah


Letter to Dad:

We watched the Mormon message about gold mining in California and it reminded me of our answering machine. This is what I remember " howdy blah blah blah we can't answer the phone because we're out searching for gold in the hills of Caaamarillllo. Our cat Maggie will get the message". Ok I don't think I was that close at all hahaha!

This week was really good! A little crazy because we had the Anderson Conference Monday, p day was Tuesday, Wednesday was normal but then Thursday, Friday, and Saturday almost every single one of our plans change. We had to do a lot of finagling and calling and walking. We walking a ton on Thursday and Friday and as a result I got blisters on each foot in between the big and second toe on the ball of the foot. Nancy is pretty hilly so I think it was because of being pressed into my shoe and then back into my shoe. Just a lot of walking! But we made a goal to hand out a book of Mormon every day and it was Friday evening and we hadn't handed one out yet. We were on the tram and my feet were hurting but I had a book of Mormon weighing me down! So instead of getting off the tram at our usual stop we got off one before and walked the rest of the way. While walking we met this girl named Mena who accepted the book and seemed pretty interested! Hopefully that will turn into something!

Listening to the spirit: recently as missionaries here we've been trying to involve the ward in the work and help us out but it hasn't really happened. So we've been praying for ways to help the ward and we've been receiving some good inspiration and ideas of what to do! On Saturday we went to the bishops house and heart-attacked their door to tell them that they are awesome . I hadn't been to their house yet and the wife doesn't talk to us, they are busy. But on Sunday they both came up and said how grateful they are so hopefully that opened the door to getting to know them and their family and will provide us with ways to serve them!

On Wednesday I went contacting with a member so I had to lead most of the conversations and I was praying so hard to know what to say. We talked to this one old lady who was pretty cool! She said she was going to die soon and that she wasn't scared at all. She believed that life ended at death so I thought that was interesting. She was very content with her life! It was very neat to talk to her. After I thought of about a million things I could've said to keep the conversation going and bring up our beliefs so I'm prepared for next time! Yay!

Sorry about your flip flop burn, I'm getting a pretty sweet watch tan and it's only been 3 days of solid sun. It'll be interesting to see how bad it gets after all of summer here haha. It might compete with yours!

And that is a really cool aspect of Heavenly Father. He is not stagnant. He works everyday for us! He is creating new worlds. And preparing people for the gospel, and helping people have the opportunity to have what He does. How incredible!
Thanks for the pictures and emails! Love you!


Sœur Giles









No comments:

Post a Comment