Monday, October 2, 2017

October 2, 2017

Dear Family and Friends,

One day during language study, Sœur Hunt felt the need to just go contacting as soon as possible! So we go out and start walking. At first we weren't really sure what to do so we just went to a street that we walk almost every day and starting talking to people. No one was really interested at first but then we talked to a super nice lady. After about 15 seconds, she asked if there is a way we could meet again? I'm on my way to work but I'd love to learn more, i think my husband has even searched into your religion before. Well of course these is a way we can do that! We exchange numbers and we called her a few days ago to set up a rendezvous and she says "so i talked with my husband about your religion and actually he was baptized a long long time into your church but doesn't remember a ton other than you meet every Sunday. We could probably come in the future. Also I started reading the Book of Mormon you gave me. We are busy this week but we would love to discuss more". It was such a cool moment to see someone take the initiative and actually be interested right away! Following the spirit works!

Also this week we helped a member's mom move. The new apartment was just down the street so instead of renting a truck we put everything in shopping carts and wheeled them down the road haha! The hard part was that they lived on the fourth floor of a building without an elevator and the stairs were spiraled and pretty shaky. It was an interesting sight seeing the fridge being carried down!

General conference was awesome! We were at the church to watch a session at 11 and then at 2 and then we were invited to watch the Sunday morning at a members house at 6! One theme that I picked out was that the Savior works one by one. He knows each of our needs, he has felt our pains, and he knows exactly how to help us. If we run towards him and grab a hold of his outstretched arms, we will find relief and peace.

Sœur Giles







Letter to Mom and Dad,

Thank you for your emails! Sad about the conference tradition but its okay we will do a nice batch of cinnamon and orange rolls next year! I enjoyed the PowerPoint, i hope to see Ruth sometime soon! We didn't watch the Kirkland video but that is cool! I have loved being able to share ancestor stories with people and hear them talk about theirs. And that's cool that you are going to institute with Brother/Elder Clark! The couple from the singles ward right? Learning with the help of the prophets makes everything make more sense. Elder Hales was a much loved prophet!
I'm not really sure what kind of details you are looking for but here is my best try to thinking of lots of things to say!
This morning I poured a bowl of cheerios but I had the thought to taste them before putting in milk because they had been there for a few weeks. Well took a bite and yep they were gross and stale. Good thing I didn't waste any milk!
Last night I took a lot of hair put of the shower drain, it smelled real bad. I wish we had one of those tools to pull it out but I had to use my fingers.
Last district meeting we had a nice discussion about the lesson of the restoration and people were talking about how this has been a great experience to actually read the book of Mormon all the way through. I was a little confused...when I was 12 I read it all the way and wrote notes on every chapter. That is definitely a gift of the spirit to have a desire to read it since I was younger. So I have to put that into use. We started doing contacting this week by jumping to the book of Mormon this week and we handed out five! Our goal is 30 this transfer. Then we were wondering if it actually does make a difference, do they just throw it away or collect dust? Well then we had lunch with some members, a mom and son and one of the mom's friends on Friday. She told us how she joined the church. They had given her a book of Mormon and it sat on her table for a long time just collecting dust and more dust. One day she decided to actually read, it had to be important right? Well she started and read 1 Nephi 1 and then 2 and then 3 and then she called the missionaries because she had questions. Now a few of her sons have joined the church and one of them came back from a mission a few years ago. So yes! They do work miracles!
We talked to a lady on the street who was just a little bit crazy. She was born catholic but didn't like that priests can't marry. Anyways she wasn't interested in meeting with us but all the sudden she put her hands on Soeur Hunt's face and gave her a nice kiss on both of her cheeks and then proceeded to do that same to me haha then she walked away! We laughed about that for a good few minutes.
So our mission will be getting Facebook this transfer, I don't really know any details other than that because we will be trained at zone conference this week. But some people are really bummed about it. I wasn't at all! Its definitely not my first choice but if the prophets wants us to use it, of course I am going to! Then I realized I had been prepared for this change a few weeks ago. i read the book our heritage from the missionary library and it talked about the declarations 1 and 2 in doctrine and covenants and the family proclamation. Well I had the thought hey God inspired those prophets just as much as he did to Joseph Smith. Well duh everything we believe is based on continual revelation so of course all those prophets are really called of God and have his authority. It was great preparation for general conference and for the change in the mission. I know that the Lord is moving His work forward and I am grateful to be apart of it.
What else... oh in the mall you have to pay to use the bathroom and we were sitting in the chairs next to it downloading a video to use later and we watched at least 5 people try to stick the coin in the bill slot. It was kind of funny because the coin slot was about 5 centimeters under the bill slot.
Also this week I started reading the new testament and writing down all the questions Christ asked during his recorded ministry, well there a ton. But as I was watching conference I kept writing down reflecting questions like the ones Christ asked! I liked seeing that influence how the Spirit talked to me.
The young adults in the ward are preparing to do a musical number soon and they chose we'll bring the world his truth and they asked us to sing with them. It has been fun learning it in French.
Training is hard! Sometimes it feels more like an introduction to life rather than just to missionary life. I am very grateful for my time at college and the bigger perspective that has given me on everything.
We were at our meeting with the ward mission leader and he was asking us if we liked cats or dogs better. (He is Mexican and knows Spanish french English and Portuguese) well since I have been here I have come to appreciate the cleanliness of new homes and come to dislike furry animals. So instead of picking a dog or cat I said I like fish! Well he looked at me funny and started laughing saying ok I am going to explain one more time very slowly do you like cats or dogs, i still said fish haha we have some good times with him! We are planning a Halloween party for the ward and he is super excited.
Well that's about it or this week! Thanks for all that you do, thanks for supporting me to be out here, i really really appreciate all you do and all that you have taught me! You are wonderful!
Love,
Sœur Giles

No comments:

Post a Comment